- about mussels
- enjoy mussels
- healthy living
Mussels with Greens and Blue Cheese
Number of Servings: 10
Rate this Recipe:
- 5 lb fresh blue cultured mussels
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g pancetta, proscuitto or bacon, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 200 g creamy blue cheese
- arugula, spinach or watercress (large)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- crusty bread to serve
- 1 cup white wine
1. Rinse fresh blue mussels in tap water and set aside. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside
2. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta, proscuitto or bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Add shallot and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes more.
3. Add white wine, lemon juice and blue cheese. Stir briefly, then add mussels. Cover and leave to steam for 5-7 minutes, or until mussels are open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
4. Toss in greens and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with lemon zest.
5. Serve with slices of crusty bread.