- about mussels
- enjoy mussels
- healthy living
Number of Servings: 8
Rate this Recipe:
- 2 lb fresh blue cultured mussels
- 10 oz package frozen spinach or broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 8 6 oz custard cups or pastry shells
- Cook spinach or broccoli according to package directions; drain well, pressing out the excess liquid. Set aside.
- Rinse fresh blue mussels in tap water. Add water to a large covered pot. Add the mussels and cover. Steam 5 to 7 minutes
- Drain mussels, reserving liquid. Add milk to mussel liquid to equal ½ cup. If desired, set aside 8 mussels for garnish..
- In bowl combine eggs, milk mixture, spinach (or broccoli), cheese, ¼ cup of bread crumbs, onion, and mussels. Spoon mixture into custard cups or pastry shells. Place in shallow baking dish.
- Combine remaining bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and butter; sprinkle over mixture in cups. Bake at 350oF for 20 minutes. Garnish with the reserved mussels.