- about mussels
- enjoy mussels
- healthy living
Pumpkin Lasagna with Mussels
Number of Servings: 4
Rate this Recipe:
I love this cut in small portions as a starter, especially if doing an oyster stuffing with your turkey. If you have fresh mussels by all means use them.
- 16 oz lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tbsp shallot, chopped
- 5 tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 10 oz mussels, canned, rinsed and pick through for shell
- 1⁄5 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water about 5 minutes for store bought, 2 minutes if using fresh. (Cook the pasta in salted boiling water about 5 minutes for store bought)
- Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- On stovetop melt butter and sauté shallot with fennel seeds and sage until shallot is tender.
- Add the pumpkin puree, lemon juice and parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- On stove top fry bacon until almost crisp,
- (Drain off excess grease.) add the red onion and fry until onion is tender, then add garlic.
- Add the mussels, wine, water, sage.
- Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Layer pan starting with some (cover bottom of pan) sauce, then pasta, then evenly with the pumpkin puree mixture. Repeat ending with pasta.
- Pour remaining sauce evenly over the pasta and bake covered for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with the parmesan.
- Bake uncovered another 10 minutes.
- Serve with parsley for garnish.