- about mussels
- enjoy mussels
- healthy living
Mediterranean Mussel Salad
Number of Servings: 5
Rate this Recipe:
- 5 cup baby spinach, chiffonade (leaves sliced finely into long strips)
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp natural honey
- 1 cup cooked fresh blue cultured mussels, shucked and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice and zest
- 1⁄4 cup cucumbers, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup red and yellow peppers, finely diced
- 3 tbsp kalamata or black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp fresh whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled (for garnish)
- salt and ground black pepper
Base of Salad - Method:
1. Combine the spinach and tarragon in a large bowl.
2. Lightly toss spinach and tarragon with the olive oil (1/4 cup oil blended with the honey). Season with salt and pepper and set aside in the refrigerator.
Mussel Salad - Method:
1. Wash the fresh blue mussels in cold water.
2. Steam mussels in a covered pot until they open up (5-7 min), discarding any mussels that do not open. 3. Remove meat from shells and set aside.
To Create the Vinaigrette:
1. Combine lemon juice, mustard, and herbs. Whisk in olive oil (1/3 cup) in a light stream until fully incorporated.
2. In a separate bowl, combine mussels, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and black olives. Gently toss with the prepared vinaigrette.
3. Set in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the flavours to combine. Season the chilled salad with salt and black pepper.
4. Garnish with Feta cheese and serve immediately.